Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Two Years, One Day Anniversary

From Evernote:

Two Years, One Day Anniversary

Missed the second anniversary of my blog because it happened to coincide with the ten year anniversary of my Dad's passing and I was trying to ignore all of that. Sorry. I am not sure why that date seems to have been the day that I launched my blog.  It had a lot to do with some suicides in the community I think that had just occurred, as sad as that is to say.

At any rate, yesterday was the second anniversary of Where Are the Sheep? and I am surprised I didn't abandon this a long time ago.  The blog took a hit this year.  My interest and dedication were challenged by my medical leave and the depression, an ongoing concern, and the end of my term on the BCTF Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee (something necessary to my health improvement but I do miss it terribly), followed by a long stretch of unemployment.  My dedication has also been challenged by my perception of the BC education system as uninterested in Aboriginal Education in general and the specific issues I was raising.  That current apathy is reflected in the continued lack of interest BC educators appear to be taking in the current IDLE NO MORE movement, reflective of the Canadian consciousness in general it seems.  

This is a very exciting time and no one cares.  It's too bad.  This is a very teachable moment.  IDLE NO MORE is why Aboriginal Education matters.  I will try to write more about it as it progresses, compensate for my fear of actually participating in something meaningful and real.  What are the consequences for a teacher to participate in an act of civil disobedience?  

So, two years on, the blog is still here, limping along.  We'll see if year three is any better.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment